Search This Site

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Post #22 - Blockbuster Video Free Video For Good Grades Scamola - 6/14/1997


Here's one from the archives. Better times, when free coupons flowed more freely.

Dear Blockbusters,

I can recall the struggles that one encounters in grade school and high school. The awkward age when you are too old to trick-or-treat, but too young to drive the gang around in dad’s car. Those pimples—more menacing than dandelions on a golf course. Voice changes, bed wetting, wet hacking coughs, raging hormones, and the struggle to make the grade in the classroom. Oh the plight of a child. But how many adults wouldn’t give anything for those carefree times.

As a foreman for a company that manufactures socks, I know all about 12 hour days. I also know about the big push in industry to get the working class back in school for graduate programs. If I don’t go back to school, I’ll be replaced by some jerk who just did. Combine this corporate pressure with the responsibilities of maintaining a house, a family, and all of the associated expenses. Those kids know nothing about pressure!

Last week, as I strolled into the local Blockbuster Video Center, I noticed a poster that read “Good Grades Earn Free Video Rentals”. I was excited—I had just earned an A- in my last graduate level course—no small accomplishment for someone in my position. My eyes lit up as I read that all I need is a report card to prove it. “I have that!” Then, my picnic ended as storm clouds enveloped the entire area and began emptying their overbearing cargo right in my five-bean medley. “…Limited to Grades 1 through 12.”

Why discriminate by age? Couldn’t we all use a little incentive, a little pick-me-up? Are adults “less important?” Do you restrict your offer because you know that the movie-renting population is older, and to include them would hurt business? Because you know that children are too young to have memberships anyway?

I need a written explanation as to why you can justify discriminating based on the number of candles on their cake. The very working class that puts bread on your table, by renting your movies, deserves better.

Having Puppet Shows Instead,


Larry Barnowski
---------------------------------------
Here is a reply, sent by Lisa, the Customer Service Representative at Blockbuster, on 6/30/1997

Dear Mr. Barnowski,

Thank you for your recent letter regarding Suggestions. Customer feedback is very important to us, and we are glad you took the time to write. At BLOCKBUSTER, we realize that nothing is more important than our members. We are dedicated to creating and maintaining an outstanding level of customer service.

We take your suggestions as a welcome show of interest and loyalty. Thank you for letting us know how we can better meet your entertainment needs. I am forwarding your comments to the appropriate department for their consideration.

Please accept these three free rental coupons as a token of our appreciation for the time and effort you took to give us these thoughts. Your patronage is very important to us, and we hope that you will continue to allow BLOCKBUSTER the opportunity to serve your family’s entertainment needs.

Sincerely,

Lisa
Customer Service Representative
--------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. As an adult I was bed wetting at the age of 35, I got help from Dr. Ahren, after using his meds for three days my bed wetting stopped, over 4 years now I haven't experienced bed wetting. I will advice you to contact Dr. Ahren via his email familyhealthcare.germany@gmail.com, sms or whats-app +49 1521 9412605 for help.

    ReplyDelete