Search This Site

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Post # 207 - Ineptitude at DirecTV with My Faulty Box


In the spring of 2008, my wife and I engaged on an epic battle with DirecTV regarding an issue we endured with our downstairs satellite box/DVR. The box would black out ALL local Tiger games on Fox Sports Detroit. The box would show the pre- and post-game coverage, but turn black for the games, with a "721" code. We swapped boxes between upstairs and downstairs, and the blackout followed the box.

CLEARLY we had a faulty box. We spoke to several different people. They all followed the same monotonous protocols, like mindless zombies. They tried selling a service plan, and expensive home visits to address what we kept explaining: THIS WAS A FAULTY BOX PROBLEM!
------------------------
The written part of our battle began with this note to DirecTV on 4/20/2008

Hello,

I've called your customer service # 6 times during the last week, regarding interrupted service. During Tiger games, and only during Tiger games, I have a 721 message on my box, and only on my DVR (bedroom box works). Your people have had me: 1) Push reset (several times). 2) Unplug/re-plug the power supply to the box (several times). 3) Review the satellite setup (twice). 4) They've re-sent satelite info. 5) Plug phone cord into box.

Each time, I have someone new that I have to re-explain this to, and go through all the same steps again. They are available on my bedroom box. I keep hearing things like "we're working on this issue." "It's being escalated." "Should be fixed in 24 hours" "Yours is a known issue" etc. Today, I heard something that may make me drop Direct TV: You may need someone to come out, you'll have to pay, you need the service plan."

This is unacceptable. This needs immediate priority. I need a timetable. I refuse to pay for a visit or a new box.

------------------------------------------
This was Leonel's response on 4/20/2008

Jerry,

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry to hear you're having technical trouble with your DVR. We want to get your service up and running as soon as possible, and based on what you’ve told us, it sounds like the best way to do so is for one of our service technicians to come out to take a look at your system. I understand your concern about paying for a service call, but your monthly bill covers only your programming costs and not any maintenance costs. The $79.95 service call fee covers parts and labor necessary to restore programming in most cases and is backed up with a 90-day warranty.

You may also want to consider DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN. By signing up for the PROTECTION PLAN, the initial service call fee would be reduced from $79.95 to only $19.95 (service visits after the first 30 days are free), which is a great value and still covers all parts and labor needed to correct most problems.

For just $5.99/month the PROTECTION PLAN includes:

- Free technical troubleshooting, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Coverage of wiring, satellite antenna, connections/switches, and more
- Power surge-related repairs
- Dish realignments
- Service calls from a trained technician if we can’t fix the problem over the phone.
- Replacement of defective equipment including remotes and receivers (if problem cannot be resolved over the phone)

Please visit our web site at directv.com/protection for more information. If you’re interested in signing up for the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN and receiving a discounted service call, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for technical assistance.

We are limited to what we can troubleshoot by email, but we want to ensure your system is up and running again as quickly as possible. Our Technical Support agents are trained to walk you through a number of troubleshooting steps which are too difficult to try to talk through over email. Please call our technical support center at 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for further technical assistance.

Thanks again for writing. We appreciate your patience and hope we're able to fix the problem quickly.

Sincerely,

Leonel T.
Employee ID 100138952
DIRECTV Customer Service

Make the most of DIRECTV by registering your account on directv.com. You'll learn about exclusive online promotions, new features of DIRECTV and the latest programs and packages. Visit www.directv.com/register today.
---------------------------------------------------------
I responded on 4/20/2008:

Lionel,

Enjoyed the Tiger Postgame, which came on immediately after the game on channel 636. Also enjoying the Piston game right now, also on channel 636.

The issue is that we are being blacked out, in a non-black-out area, during Tiger games only, and only on the one box (DVR). The technical support person stated that this is a known issue, and that he has seen other complaints about channel 636. Our channel strength is always in the mid-90's, so I don't think this is a dish alignment issue.

If this truly was an issue with our system,(connections, switches, surge issues,) wouldn't it be happening on other channels, and not just during Tiger games, and on both boxes? EVERYTHING ELSE comes in fine, except Tiger games on our DVR.

1) Based upon the nature of this issue, I would like to understand what this technical service call could possibly address?
2) If we agree to the service call, and the issue is not able to be solved by the technician, are you willing to reimburse the visit?
3) Is there truly a larger Fox Sports Detroit issue, as the Technical Support person stated? Is this being investigated?

I resent being sold a bill of goods about service plans and technical support visits. As I price out my other dish and cable options, they are all cheaper, and this is before tacking on a $5.99 per month service fee. Other people in my neighborhood are happy with those other providers. I know because I discuss with them when I go over to their houses to watch Tiger games.

I feel like this issue is not getting the attention that it deserves. We left a voice message with a manager to discuss this further at ~3:15 PM ET, asking him to call us back. He has not called back yet.

Please explain, based on this experience, why we should stay with your service? As a first step, I am cancelling our HBO. Our neighbors, coworkers, family and friends are all interested as well, since they came by last week to watch the game and instead watch "721" with us.

I truly appreciate the people who have tried to help us. I just wish there were one person I could deal with, and that they had more information.

Thank You.

Jerry
-----------------------------------------------
They didn't flinch when I started cutting our subscriptions in protest. This was Lorelyn's response on 4/20/2008.

Dear Mr. Herman,

Thanks for writing.

As you requested, I have removed HBO from your account. The changes to your account will be reflected on your next DIRECTV bill, or you can see them immediately by signing into your DIRECTV account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on "Activity Since Last Bill" in the My Account column.

Regarding your technical concerns, the best way for you to get help as soon as possible is to call 1-800-531-5000 and choose the option to speak to a technical assistant.

Thanks again for writing, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Lorelyn D.
Employee ID 100124016
DIRECTV Customer Service

Make the most of DIRECTV by registering your account on directv.com. You'll learn about exclusive online promotions, new features of DIRECTV and the latest programs and packages. Visit www.directv.com/register today.
---------------------------------
This was my response, also on 4/20/2008:

Lorelyn,

I appreciate your help. I'm assuming that tomorrow I'll hear from the manager with whom I left the message today.

Otherwise, I will probably call tech support again tomorrow during the Tiger game, since that the only time the issue can be addressed (at least on this end).

Thanks again,

Jerry

--------------------------------------
No response for 2 days. I sent this note on 4/22/2008.

Lorelyn,

Am I to assume that the "Manager" that my case was escalated to, isn't going to be calling us? We left him a voicemail message on Sunday at 3:15 PM ET. It is now Tuesday night. I've missed two more games. I feel like I'm the only one who cares that I'm being blacked out in a non-black-out area, and that absolutely nothing is being done by anyone to solve my problem.

Jerry
----------------------
This was Matt's response on 4/22/2009. By the way, these steps that are too complicated to explain- by the end of the summer, I could recite them.

Dear Mr. Jerry,

Thanks for writing. I'd be happy to assist you with your concern. However, we are limited to what we can troubleshoot by email, but we want to ensure your system is up and running again as quickly as possible. Our Technical Support agents are trained to walk you through a number of troubleshooting steps which are too difficult to try to talk through over email. Please call our technical support center at 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for technical assistance. Also, you may find some helpful information at the DIRECTV Technical Help forums. Just visit http://forums.directv.com/pe/index.jsp to find answers to your questions.

Sincerely,

Matt A.
Employee ID 100220883

----------------------------------------------
I entered a forum on the DirecTV website and described my problem. On 4/23/09, guess what they told me...

From: directvforums@hosting.outstart.com
Subject: Re: local channels keep blacking out? :::m=11601927:p=10394566

Notification of Reply

Hello hairygerman:

You asked us to let you know whenever someone replied to the forum thread "local channels keep blacking out?" in "DIRECTV Receiver Technical Support & Troubleshooting" online forums. The following reply was posted by bella:

Re: local channels keep blacking out?

I feel your pain. I ended up buying a new box on ebay for half the price anywhere else. I've not had the problem since.

To respond, you may reply to this email or view the post online by clicking the link above. Thanks for using the DIRECTV Technical Help Forums. We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely, The DIRECTV Technical Help Forums Team

--------------------------------------------------------
Later, I bid on a new box.

From: Ebay 6/30/2008
Someone outbid you; sorry you didn't win this time.

Hi Jerry,
We're sorry you didn't win this time around. While this one got away, there's other stuff to find. Don't give up.

Directv Plus DVR Reciever w/ access card! Brand New!
Sale price: $58.77
Your maximum bid: $54.00

--------------------------------------------------------------
One day in late July, Todd Jones blew a save against the White Sox, effectively throwing the Tigers out of the pennant race, and into a tailspin for the rest of the season.

The very next day, DirecTV finally gave in to my loving wife's persistence on the phone. They agreed to replace the box at no charge, with no visit, and no service plan. This fixed the problem (go figure).
----------------------
You May Also Enjoy:
Follow me on Twitter: @hermanletters
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment