Search This Site

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Post # 155 - Sun Chips and Their Biodegradable Bag

I sent this to Frito Lay on 4/10/2010.
-------------------------
Dear Frito Lay,

What gives with Sun Chips making all of your other brands look bad with their new, fancy biodegradeable bag.

First—let’s get something straight. I’m not a huge Sun Chip’s guy. I don’t like people trying to sneak more fiber into my diet. My wife makes me eat them so I spend less time doing THAT in THERE. The bag, however, intrigues me--I have two questions.

First, if you possess the technology to make the world a better place, one bag of Sun Chips at a time, why wouldn’t you apply this technology across the entire Yum! Brands mothership? Lays Chips, Rold Gold Pretzels, Doritos, Cheetos, Tostitos, Chester’s Fries, Taco Bell, Pepsi, Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, etc. Isn’t this your moral obligation? Otherwise, it just looks like a silly hippie gimmick.

Second, I fancy a good deal. I buy three and four bags of Sun Chips at a time. I stash them at my work station, sometimes for three to four months. My work station is at an incinerator, where the temps approach, and once-in-a-while exceed 130F. I drink a lot of ice water. Will the bag maintain it’s composition for four months at those temps?

I appreciate any information that you can provide regarding this marvelous invention.

Sincerely,

Jerry
-----------------------
From: noreply@fritolay.com
Subject: Here's our response to your e-mail - RE: SunChips, Reference #010985215A
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:00:06 -0400
 
Here's our response to your e-mail - RE: SunChips, Reference #010985215A
 
Hi Jerry,
 
Thank you for contacting Frito-Lay to share your great comments about our compostable SunChips package.
 
Your feedback tells us that our effort to develop a package made from 100% renewable plant material is appreciated by our valued consumers.
 
Yes, we would like to replace more of our packages with this new material. Having this goal in mind, we still have a couple of obstacles to overcome, including sourcing enough of the compostable material and continuing to improve the film for the chips to stay fresh and crispy with an optimal shelf life. By the way, Jerry, we are a division of PepsiCo and not affiliated with Yum brands.
 
We hope you’ll visit www.sunchips.com for more information. The package will degrade in an active compost pile at temperatures above 130 degrees.
 
Who would have thought that eating a snack made with whole grains would help us live in a healthier, greener world? Thank you again for being part of this journey!
 
Best regards,
 
Linda
Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs
010985215A
-----------------------
You May Also Enjoy:

From http://thehermanletters.blogspot.com/
Follow me on Twitter: @hermanletters
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment