Search This Site

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Post # 171 - Sargento and the Swiss Cheese Lie

Dear Sargento,

We live in 2010. I can check my email on the other side of the world, climbing a mountain. Using my cell phone. I can download a movie and watch it without even getting up. They’re making Sequeways that operate using eyeball movements.

Why does Swiss cheese still have the holes in it? I’m sure when they first started, the holes came from gasses released during the aging, or whatever, and to stifle the bubbles, was to stifle the flavor.

Are you telling me in 2010, where we disinfect our hands while driving down the street, you can’t make the same great Swiss cheese we’ve all come to know and love, without the holes?

Are the holes still there to appease us? To make us feel secure? Is there fear in the dairy industry, that a Hole-less Swiss would freak people out?

Are the holes in fact a cost saving measure? By selling holes with the cheese, the cheese actually looks larger than it is. Like an 80’s rock star packin' a roll of Necco’s.  Pretty slick.

I guess I’m wondering when you’re going to end the great big lie, which is Swiss Cheese with holes.

Sincerely,

Jerry

PS – I’d ask to tour your facility, but I bet it smells like sweet death when that cheese is aging.

PPS –Do people from Sargento and people from Kraft call each other names?
--------------------------
Subject: RE: Sargento Contact Us
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:09:10 -0500
From: Ask_Us@sargento.com

Dear Mr. Herman --

Thank you for your e-mail. Holes in Swiss cheese (also called "eyes") are a very desirable characteristic. They form while curing when one of the starter cultures produces carbon dioxide that is trapped in the cheese and forms pockets. They are an important part of the making of Swiss cheese.

Pat
Sargento Consumer Affairs Department
----------------------------
You May Also Enjoy:
Follow me on Twitter: @hermanletters
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment