Search This Site

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Post# 220 - Genie: How About a Breadbox Garage Opener

I sent this to Genie on 10/2/2011:

Dear Genie,

As a homespace organizer, I am always looking for ways to optimize space and make life more convenient for my customers.   I add shelving and hangerspace in closets.  I install multimedia entertainment systems to tastefully contain television, cable box, gaming consoles and peripherals, and computer accessories.  In my tri-county area, I am a legend.  And now, I come to you for help.

One of my clients is a dual income (surgeon/lawyer) twosome with four kitties--Sable, Mable , Rable, and Boris.  They keep their spare cat food, kitty treats, and catnip stowed in a standard breadbox--the kind with a sliding "garage door."  The solution is almost perfect--stylish, sleek, and very well confined.  I said ALMOST perfect.


The problem is, at night, they often forget to close the lid, only to wake up to a kitchen torn apart.  Treats gone, food everywhere. As they go to sleep, they remember that they left the bread box garage door.  With the stresses and demands of a career in medicine or law, they lack the willpower or motivation to get up and slide the little garage door to the "down" position.

This is where Genie comes in.

How about engineering and manufacturing a miniature version of your garage door, for bread boxes.  I am talking about an exact replica, only scaled down to breadbox size.  To keep the design conversion simple, it could function exactly the same (optical sensors at the bottom, a little light on the ceiling, etc).  The remote could be normal size, or key fob size. 

This design would allow busy, exhausted people like the Crenshaws, to close their breadbox from wherever they are in the house.  In bed, on the commode, in the lazy chair watching the three tenors on PBS.  You name it!

What do you think?

Sincerely,

Jerry

-----------------
Subject: Scaled Down Version
To: genie_info@geniecompany.com
Date: Monday, October 17, 2011, 10:44 PM

Dear Genie,
What gives?  Two weeks ago, I gave you a product idea--an opportunity to spread your wings a little.  I put a lot of time and effort into my note.  I made a logical walk from Point A (kitchen storage problem) to Point B (business opportunity for Genie).
I'm sorry--maybe you didn't like my idea.  Maybe it didn't "fit your model."  Maybe you snickered about my idea and labeled me a "dumb-ass."  You never responded.  To me that's an even bigger insult.
In business school, they teach you that "the customer is always right."  They tell you that there is nothing more valuable than customer feedback.  Without customer feedback, you're off in some vaccuum inventing some piece of crap that no one wants.
Then it hit me.  Two years ago, I sent you a note pointing out a very obvious flaw with one of your products.  Your solution was to charge me $9 for a replacement battery cover for your crappy keypad because after replacing the battery a few times, the cover wouldn't stay covered.
Maybe it's better that you don't respond.  You'd probably charge me $9 to read my letter.

Thanks for nothing.  Run a lap of shame around the Genie Complex

Jerry
--------------------
From: Info, Genie <genie_info@geniecompany.com>
Subject: RE: Scaled Down Version
Date: Thursday, October 20, 2011, 10:16 AM

Odd, I actually replied to that email. I did get a chuckle out of it, to be honest, but that was mainly due to the story you told in the email rather than the idea.

Truthfully, I’m not entirely sure there’s much of a market for something like that, but it’s not my call to make. When we receive emails or letters such as that, we generally forward them to the folks who handle new product ideas and development. I did so at that time, and explained this in my initial reply.

Regardless, I apologize if you did not receive my emailed reply for some reason and do hope that this one actually reaches you.

Nate C.
Customer Service
The Genie Company
PO Box 67
Mount Hope, OH 44660
GenieBlackBack_jpg
--------------------------
Subject: RE: Scaled Down Version
To: "GenieInfo" <genie_info@geniecompany.com>
Date: Thursday, October 20, 2011, 9:56 PM

Nate,

Thanks for the note.  I appreciate the feedback.

 Maybe I'll hit up Radio Shack.  Either way, you still owe me a lap!  A full one--no fair cutting the northern part of the complex either!

Thanks,

Jerry
--------------------------
You May Also Enjoy:
Follow me on Twitter: @hermanletters
Follow me on Facebook

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work. cheap gaming keyboard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. Garage Services Pangbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. Mobile Car Repairs Berkshire

    ReplyDelete