Search This Site

Friday, August 26, 2011

Post# 204 - Capital One: Stop Sending Credit Card Applications To My 9-Year-Old!!!

Sent to Capital One on 6/23/2011:

Dear Capital One,

Pardon my naivety--I'm an outsider.  That guy who pays his bills on time every month, lives within his means, and when it came time to buy a house, opted for something that I knew I could afford.

When I walk into car dealerships and salespeople see my credit score, they tell me I can finance anything on the lot.  I choose to buy the car that makes the most sense.

See, back in 2008, there were these series of problems that lead to the economy going down the crapper.  Lots of people were caught with their pants down around their ankles.  Banks made irresponsible decisions.  Mortgages were handed out to any Tom, Dick, or Harry.  The ripple effect almost wiped away the middle class.

Fast forward to now.  People are more responsible.  Old neighbors "short saled" their homes, and new people bought them at a third of their previous value.  Some just let their house go, rent for a year or two, rebuild their score, and buy the same house at a discount.  Overall, people seem wiser though.

Most people, that is.

Why are you sending my daughter credit card applications?  SHE'S FRIGGING NINE, you idiots.  Nine-year-old's don't understand credit-to-debt ratios, compounding interest, identity theft, and all of the other fun things that go along with being a card holder.  She cares about American Girl dolls, what's on Nickelodeon, whether her mom bought more Snack Packs, and how fast she can swim a 50 freestyle.



About halfway down, you offer an "Opt Out" notice, where I can discontinue idiotic and irresponsible offers from continuing to appear in my mail.  Funny, I don't remember "Opting In."


So what's the plan?  Get my daughter under your burden of easy monthly payments before she's in middle school?  I know--the responsible parent is supposed to teach kids right from wrong.  Well you sorta lobbed a nice grenade in my foxhole, and I thank you kindly.  Now my daughter wants a credit card.

It's nice to see you've learned a lesson from the Credit Crash of 2008.  :Let's make it easy for people--in this case, people who still put their teeth under the pillow for the tooth fairy--to buy things that they can't afford.

That didn't bite anybody in the ass the first time.

Sincerely,

Jerry
Soon-to-be-Ex-Card Holder if you keep this crap up
--------------------------
From: Capital One Web Information <webinfo@capitalone.com>
Subject: Re: STOP SENDING MY 9-YEAR-OLD CREDIT CARD APPLICATIONS!!!!! (KMM20499762V24550L0KM)
Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hello Jerry,

Thanks for your message.

Please be advised that we have forwarded your opt-out request to the
appropriate department for handling.

Thanks for contacting Capital One®.

Regards,

Capital One
-------------------------------
Subject: Re: STOP SENDING MY 9-YEAR-OLD CREDIT CARD APPLICATIONS!!!!! (KMM20499762V24550L0KM)
Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 7:07 PM
Dear Capital One,
Yes I said "Soon to be ex-card holder if you keep this crap up."  I meant the policy--not the peppering of my child with credit card applications.
By suggesting that you'll simply opt me out and continue sending other applications to pre-teens, suggests that you just don't get it.

Maybe you'll never get it.  Maybe I'll take my business elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Jerry
------------------------------
You May Also Enjoy:
Follow me on Twitter: @hermanletters
Follow me on Facebook

8 comments:

  1. Pretty sure they don't get it. Your letter was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy! As always, thanks for reading!

    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, if you really want to activate Capital One credit card or Debit card quickly with easy way. You can activate Capital One Card Over the Phone or You can activate new Capital One Credit Card Through Online service.



    capitalone.com/activate platinum

    capital one activate debit card

    capitalone com activate platinum mastercard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. DIY Credit Repair Kit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. 소액결제 현금화

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. 정보이용료 현금화

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks chicago credit repair

    ReplyDelete
  8. Financial planning! That's boring money stuff isn't it? Many people don't pay much attention to their credit repair, until something goes wrong and you can't afford to pay a bill, or go on holiday or pay for your child's education.

    ReplyDelete