Search This Site

Friday, July 27, 2012

Post# 269 - The Disney Vault: Give Me A Grigging Break

I sent this on 10/5/11

Dear Disney,

As a kid, I saw Disney as something pure and innocent.  Bambi, Mickey, Snow White. I remember the most cheerful woman ever used to greet me at your store.  There was one of her at every store.  Dressed in Disney garb, and knowledgeable about all of your products.  Was she underpaid?  Did she have her own world of problems?  Probably.  But you would have never known.  Her job was to make me forget about my problems.  And then you fired her.  And there went my untarnished image.

As a father of two, I am always looking for ways to save money.  My scrimping and saving allowed our family of four to take a $3219 trip to your Magic Kingdom.  As my kids were having the time of their lives, I knew in the back of my mind that you weren't exactly bending over backward trying to save us money.  It was a veritable cash grab down there.  "Sure, I'll take your picture for free.  Put your camera away sir!"  You can buy prints online.

Now that I'm out of your grasp in Orlando, you've actually invented a way of screwing me.  Take a movie that was released in theatres in 1994.  Re-release it in 3D so my kids bug me to see it.  $40 later, you tell me that I can buy it on DVD at the store for $20, but "I'd better hurry up, before supplies last, and it gets locked.  Then you get me with merchandising.  Toys, shirts, pillow pets.

Here's what I really don't like about Disney: the frigging vault.  The pretend device that locks away movies, making them only available for a limited time.  

Other movies come out, and over time, the price drops from $20 to $15, $14 to $10, and they might end up around $7 after a few years.  For folks like me, that's my price point.  But Disney never lets their movies reach my price point.  You throw them all in this fake vault, which is only your fancy way of saying that "we control the supply so you pay top dollar."  Screw the little guy.

You just keep turning the screw.  At what point do you let up?  What do you do with the movies in the vault?  Do you recycle the raw materials?

You should be ashamed.  Vault, my a$$.

Sincerely,

Jerry
--------------------------
From: DisneyStore.com Guest Services <guest.services@disneystore.com>
Subject: Re: General Comments
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 7:20 AM
Dear Jerry ,

Thanks so much for your recent email.

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the
difficulties you experienced when ordering through DisneyStore.com. 
This is not an example of the quality service we wish to provide and we
hope that you find this to be an isolated incident.  Please accept my
apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

We appreciate your business and hope you will visit DisneyStore.com
again in the future.

Sincerely,
Sedrica
Have A Magical Day !!!!
The DisneyStore.com Team
Become a Fan of Disney Store on Facebook to stay connected and learn
about exclusive offers, exciting events and new products.
-------------------------------
On Wed, 10/5/11, Stephanie Marie <stephmarie1974@yahoo.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: General Comments
To: guest.services@disneystore.com
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 11:56 AM

Sedrica,

Thanks for the response.  It seems quite generic and as if you didn't even read my note.   Are you a real person, or is your name merely an acronym for the computer system that answers consumer mail based on keywords and macros?  (i.e. Simulated Encoding Driven Reading Interface Computer Application).  Did they fire the letter readers when they fired the greeters?

Had you taken 45 seconds to read, you would have noticed that my note was not aimed at my experience on your site.  My note was aimed at your park and your vault and your money-sucking policies. 

So the "we hope this was an isolated incident" sounds funny now, no?  Is the vault or your re-releasing movies policy isolated?  No.

Yoo Hoo!  Anybody home?

Jerry

-----------------------------
From: DisneyStore.com Guest Services <guest.services@disneystore.com>
Subject: Re: General Comments
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 5:27 PM
Dear Disney Guest,

Thank you for your recent email and your feedback.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to convey your thoughts to
us and truly value everyone?s perspective.  Your feedback will be
forwarded on to management for review.  We only keep our movies in the
vault for 7 years and bring them back for other generations to enjoy and
re live the magic. The Walt Disney Company prides itself in providing
quality entertainment and merchandise for all and we will continue to
make every effort towards achieving that goal. 

We look forward to future opportunities to meet or exceed your
expectations.

Sincerely,
Tristan

HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!!
The DisneyStore.com Team
----------------------------
Subject: Re: General Comments
To: "DisneyStore.com Guest Services" <guest.services@disneystore.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 10:25 PM
Dear Tristan,
Thanks for the response.  However, I find it troubling on two levels.

First, you take them away before the price can drop a little for the frugal customer who has other bills to juggle.  Sorta your way of saying, "thanks for all of the loyalty over the years."
Second, seven years is just enough time to make my marching down to the store an urgent matter.  My son is seven.  If his favorite movie goes away for seven years, it's too late.  When his favorite movie comes back, guess what?  Now he's 14 and trying to unscramble the Noody Channel.  You know as well as I, seven years is an infinity in child years.
Other than the greedy supply control reasons that I outlined earlier, what other possible reason could there be for a movie to "go away" for seven years?  It's like sending your best friend off to prison for a seven year B & E sentence. 
Thanks for the response.
Jerry
P.S. - Was Sedrica a fake person, or a software package (was I right?)
----------------------
From: DisneyStore.com Guest Services <guest.services@disneystore.com>
Subject: Re: General Comments
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 10:33 PM
Dear Jerry,

We are delighted to have received your recent email and we appreciate your interest in DisneyStore.com.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. We look forward to future opportunities to be of service to you.
Sincerely,

Erica
The DisneyStore.com Team
---------------------------
Subject: Fw: Re: General Comments
To: guest.services@disneystore.com
Date: Thursday, October 6, 2011, 9:32 PM

Dear Erica,
It seems as though we've reached an impasse.  At this point, it's almost a contest to see who can get the last word in--you the giant corporation, or me, the little guy.
Touche'!
Jerry
--------------------------
From: DisneyStore.com Guest Services <guest.services@disneystore.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: General Comments
Date: Saturday, October 8, 2011, 5:12 PM
Dear Disney Guest,

We are delighted to have received your recent email and we appreciate your interest in DisneyStore.com.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. We look forward to future opportunities to be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Ashley
The DisneyStore.com Team
----------------------------
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: General Comments
To: "DisneyStore.com Guest Services" <guest.services@disneystore.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 11:24 PM
Dear Ashley,

Thank you for the kind words.  This one time at summer camp, I took Jenny Farmer behind the cabin and gave her a big smooch.  That made her cry.  Can you believe that?

You people won't break me!

Jerry
---------------------------
 No Reply
You May Also Enjoy:

Follow me on Twitter: @hermanletters
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment