Search This Site

Friday, November 11, 2011

Post# 223 - My Ongoing Dialogue with the Detroit Tigers Part 2 of 2

This is Part II of my ongoing dialogue with the Detroit Tigers.  Part I is .HERE
------------------------------

Sent: 05/31/2011 02:15 PM AST
Subject: RE: Next weekend

Hey Ron,


It's been a little while.


From what I heard, the Opening Day Sparky tribute was very nice.  I wasn't sure if that was your "baby".


I hope all is well with you.


Thanks,


Jerry
(XXX) XXX- XXXX
-----------------------
Subject: Re: Next weekend
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:20:48 -0400


Hi Jerry:

Good to hear from you. Sparky tribute was nice. Working on plans for June 26.

Talk by phone tonight? Wednesday?

Good time for me is between 6-6:30pm.

Best,
Ron
------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Next weekend
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:39:20 -0400


Sure Ron- either of those will work.


-----------------------
Subject: RE: Next weekend
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 00:16:53 -0400
Hey Ron,

I took my son to the game on Saturday night, while my wife and daughter enjoyed the Taylor Swift concert next door.    I thought I'd give you my review of the experience.

First, the ticket office—I bought tickets in 338.  The gentleman behind the glass was very helpful.  He gave my son (7) a schedule and told him “Verlander’s on the front.  He’s pretty good.”  It was a small touch, but my son took that schedule home and put it on his dresser.  Very classy.



The game was great.  I like the way they honor the military.  The fireworks were exceptional.  I’ve seen dozens of post-Tiger game fireworks, and it seemed (maybe I’m wrong) like they improved them.  All-in-all, a great experience.    

Circling back to the food: As far back as the early 1980’s, when my dad would take my brothers and me, my expectations for the ballpark food have always been pretty low.  I could pay $9 for cheese-sauce covered nachos, or go to Xochi’s after the game and get real nachos.  But when you go to other ballparks, the food has more character and local representation.  It’s not so generic.

Over the years, I’ve generally stuck to the hot dogs, and I feel they’ve gone downhill.  Back in the 80’s, they were all steamed.  Now, if you go one of the stands, they’re shriveled.  The Hebrew Nationals are an improvement, but I find them a little salty.  From what I saw in the food court, there was a Mexican counter, a hot dog counter, the Chinese food (which I tried once and thought was just so-so), the Sidekicks place with the chicken basket, Edy’s, and Little Caesars.  Didn’t there used to be a cheese steak place and a sandwich place?  It’s been a while.

Here are my suggestions.  I realize things are probably the way they are for a reason, and some of my ideas may have already been explored and not pursued for a reason.

First, I wouldn’t change anything about the remote food stands (like the one by 338).  The food there is what I would expect, and my personal penance for buying cheap seats.

Next, when I go to other cities, I love taking in the local foods.  I think it’s nice to have an ensemble of local foods at the ballpark for out-of-towners.  It’s also a great way to support those businesses and create awareness.  The Mud Hens have Ballreich potato chips.  Fenway has Clam Chowder.

I know we have Leo’s and Little Caesars, and I understand why.  I just think it would be cool to replace all of the generic food court restaurants with local businesses.  A “Slow’s To Go”, may one of the restaurants in Mexicantown could put together a street taco/tamale  stand, maybe one of the owners of one of the restaurants on the Dearborn/Detroit Border could do a Shwarma stand.   How about something incorporating zip sauce!

I’d love to see the sports bar that replaced the barbecue place be something like Redcoat Tavern or Snookers (minus the pool tables)—somewhere that I could get a great bar burger.  It would be cool to see Kowalski or Dearborn Sausage instead of Ballpark throughout the park.   I saw one of the carts had local beer.  I like that.  I wish it were more readily available around the stadium though.  What about the Faygo Porch?  Pepsi might not like that.  I’ll stop now.


To sum up, great overall experience for my son and I.  For someone less focused on the game, the food is probably a bigger deal.   It would be cool if Comerica Park had something “signature” that people in other cities would come home and rave about--bakery buns on the hot dogs or something.  I just figured that if I’m spending my food money elsewhere, other “foodie” people like me are doing the same.


Thanks,
Jerry
-----------------------------
Sent: 06/27/2011 09:48 PM AST
Subject: RE: Next weekend
Ron,


11 years ago, I went to Sparky Anderson Day to honor the man. It felt a little hollow because they didn't retire his number, and they should have.


Based on the fact that 5 months later, we haven't talked, I would assume that we're not going to talk.  I don't expect you to explain why the #11 retirement had to happen in 2011 instead of 1996 or 2000, because I understand the politics. Many, if not most fans feel like I do about this, and if I'm tired of hearing about it, I can only imagine how tired you are.


I took my family to the game on Sunday.  It was a last minute decision.  I went, not because I felt fine with all that has happened over the years.  I went because I wanted to honor Sparky.  I wanted my kids to see how revered a man he was.  His words, "It don't cost nothin' to be nice to people" are words to live by.  He made me think more about other people.  He bridged 3 generations--my Grandparents admired him.  It felt right being there--sort of like his wake. 


Under the circumstances, it was a beautiful ceremony.  Great participation from past players and personalities, and Sparky's kids and grandkids.  A nice video tribute, and the portrait is very nice.  For all of the things that you were able to do in this situation, you hit the ball out of the park.   It needed to happen, and it did, and it was as nice as it could have possibly been.  Nice job.


Thanks,


Jerry
-----------------------
Subject: Re: Next weekend
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:32:38 -0400


Jerry:

Appreciate the feedback. Pleased to hear you attended. It was a special moment in Tigers history regardless of past circumstances. A lot of planning and hard work went into the ceremony and we believe, by the fans reaction, they appreciated the presentation.

I think you'll agree, we have actually generated a dialogue, despite not connecting by phone, which we will at some point soon.

As always, your support of the Tigers is most appreciated and your thoughts and comments welcome.

Let's put tonight's game behind us and get'em tomorrow.

Best,

Ron--------------------------
Subject: RE: Next weekend
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:54:57 -0400


Agree Ron--it really was nice. I could tell a lot of thought and effort went into it--inviting everyone, gifts, montage, speakers, etc. 


It made me want to go back and watch old footage.  It made me miss the old park, the organ, the hot dog smell, etc. 


My son is seven and starting to follow baseball more now.  I have that DVD set with the old games.  I'll probably show him some of those. I wish there was a George and Al channel.


Thanks,

Jerry



No comments:

Post a Comment