Search This Site

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Post# 224 - Save-A-Deer: My Deer-Repelling Car Whistle Seems To Be Not Working - 6/24/2011

Dear Save-A-Deer,
As someone who frequently drives up and down the windy roads of deer-inhabited wilderness, I have had some close calls with deer.  You see, I deliver transplant organs, serving as the “last leg in the relay”, from the airport to the hospital.   I dodge deer, probably once a week.
I had seen advertisements for your product, a whistle that would attach to the front of my car, deterring deer from running in front of it.  About a month ago, I installed your Save-A-Deer whistle in the front grill of my Subaru, according to the directions.  It’s hard to tell if it’s working.  I haven’t had any close calls, but the deer seem to gather on the roadside and watch me drive by, more-so than in the past. 
Often, after a delivery, I’ll unwind by heading into the state park for a nice picnic.  I make great potato salad, so I’ll often simply enjoy that, along with some sparkling water and a good book.  Twice within the past three weeks (since I installed the Save-A-Deer Whistle), I’ve encountered male deer “making nice” with my car.  The first time, it was one buck.  This last time, I encountered four of them really going at it with my tiny blue Subaru.  I didn’t know what else to do, so I let them “finish.”
I don’t mean to complain, but the whistle seems to be having an “opposite” effect.   Male deer seem attracted to my car—not in the “I’m gonna dart out in front of it” manner, but more in the “check out that pretty doe” manner.
Am I doing something wrong?  The instructions state that the whistle is effective at 35mph or faster.  The two incidents that I mentioned occurred with the vehicle stationary.  These deer may have been some of the spectators on the road when I was driving at speeds exceeding 35 mph.
I am just a little confused.  I doublechecked--the whistle is mounted according to directions,  small holes in front, and large holes in back.  Any information that you can provide is greatly appreciated.   I’d better go.  As I’m typing this, I’m looking out the window, at my Subaru, parked in the street.  The bucks are at it again.  My poor Subaru.
Sincerely,
Jerry
----------------------------
Subject: RE: Question
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 10:21 AM


Dear Jerry,

Thank you for contacting Living Products LLC in regards to the Save-A-Deer whistle. We are glad you have not had any accidents.

In your description of the installation, it sounds like you may have it backwards. The large holes should be facing the roadway for maximum air flow. The smaller holes should be facing the engine compartment of your vehicle. The air should travel through the larger holes and exit out the smaller holes. It is this reduction in air flow that creates the sound desired.
If you have mounted the whistle incorrectly, we will send you a replacement. Please let us know if you need another whistle.

If you have mounted the whistle incorrectly, we will send you a replacement. Please let us know if you need another whistle.

As to why the deer like your Subaru so much, we have no idea. It could be an odor from the car or the color of the vehicle. It is mating season for the bucks and they can do some very strange things at these times.

Thanks,

Mike
Living Products, LLC
www.deerwhistle.com
-----------------------------
Subject: Fw: RE: Question
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 4:45 PM


Dear Mark,
You were right.  I goofed--it was on backward.  I removed it and installed a new one correctly.  It's a night and day difference.  The deer definitely freeze when they see me coming.
Best of all, they aren't rubbing themselves on my Subaru.

Thanks for your help.  What a great product!
Jerry
-----------------------
Note to readers:


You can order these HERE.  I recommend them.  Look at the customer service!


----------------------------
You May Also Enjoy:

Follow me on Twitter: @hermanletters
Follow me on Facebook

3 comments:

  1. Dude- great blog! Loved it so much I clicked on two ads for you!
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks D.E.! Thanks for reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. New Port Richey Window Tinting Company Near Me

    ReplyDelete