Search This Site

Monday, October 4, 2010

Post # 146 - Kellogg Frosted Shards 1/4/2010

Dear Tony The Tiger,

I work in a firehouse. Our crew covers an 8 square mile neighborhood in our classic red Pierce pumper fire engine. Nothing fills us with the energy we need, like a morning bowl of Frosted Flakes. It’s part of THIS nutritious breakfast.

Frosted Flakes contain eleven essential vitamins and minerals, plus an entire day's allotment of sugar. Sometimes, when chief hasn't made it to the grocery store, and supplies are low, I get up a little early (before the others), slide down the pole, and sneak a bowl.

Yesterday morning, I was mid-bowl when the alarm rang. I hastily shoveled whatever I could into my mouth. I quickly chewed and swallowed. Mother of All Creatures Big and Small--that tore up my throat! It hurts to talk. What I discovered from this is: Kellogg Frosted Flakes, when eaten hastily, are like little sugary shards of broken glass. That's right--she's a fickle mistress--she'll get you when you're not paying attention.

My suggestion is, why not redesign the flake. Start with a more rounded edge. You could even have someone at the end of the assembly line with a dremel, working each flake.

My other idea: construct the flake sort of like safety glass--no sharp pieces. Have the flake made up of perforated rounded subsections.

What can we do? How do we fix this? How do you comfort the little children who complain about this same thing?

Thanks,

Jerry
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: kellogg@casupport.com

Subject: Kellogg's® Consumer Affairs 020649843A
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:32:21 -0600

Jerry,

It was nice of you to want to share your suggestion with us. While your idea is not new to us, we appreciate your interest and the time you took to submit this idea.

Our company devotes a great deal of time and effort to developing new and improved products, packaging concepts, promotions and merchandising ideas, such as recipe ideas and alternate serving suggestions, to make our products the best on the market. We hope that you will agree we are on the right track here.

Please visit http://www2.kelloggs.com/greatideas/ to share a new product or promotion idea, a recipe idea or a suggestion for improving the food or packaging performance of a current Kellogg products. Please share your Big Idea with us.

We appreciate your interest in our company.

Sincerely,

Aime

Consumer Affairs Department
TLXACX01/cl
020649843A
-----------------------------------------
My response on 1/5/2010

Dear Aime,

I find it hard to believe you thought of taking a dremel to a flake, or designing a flake of corn like a sheet of safety glass. But they say Edison stole the light bulb idea too.

Look—I don’t really want a check. I’m not looking for my name on the box. I just want a safer breakfast for me and the boys down at the station. If letting you take credit gets the wheels in motion, than “Great Idea!”

Keep up the good work!

Jerry
-------------------------------
Kellogg sent me a follow-up survey, asking if I was satisfied (no), if their response seemed scripted (yes), whether I was involved on social networking sites, and discussed products and services (hell yes).  There was only one window for commentary, which I used to voice my complaint:
From http://thehermanletters.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment